Interesting Things To Know

Friday 29 June 2012

Psalm 139 Project Vs. 19


Verse 19
O that Thou wouldst slay the wicked, O God;
Depart from me, therefore, men of bloodshed.

The Message – And please God, do away with wickedness for good! And you murderers – out of here! –
Today’s New International Version – If only You, God, would slay the wicked! Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty!


When I was little
I used to fall asleep
With a picture in my mind of
Good and evil
In a swordfight
Over my head.
They would be fighting
For control.
I would fall asleep
Whispering
‘You guys fight it out’.

Today
It is not a
Fall asleep fairytale.
Today
I want to be good
I have intentions
To prevail
To win the battle

In private
I sharpen my sword
With all the good
I can muster.

And then it comes.

It can be
The person who rattles me.
Or
The loneliness that haunts
Or
The shadows that taunt.

Evil is sharpening
Its sword
For that fight
With my good.

The reality is

Sometimes all of those
Good intentions
Win.
Sometimes evil
Trips me up
With a touché.

It would be so much
Easier
If the wickedness
Was done away with
If I never had to
Engage
In the battle at all.

It would be so great
If everything I intended
To be strong enough
To accomplish
Could be conquered

And there’s the rub
No battle means –
No choice.
No intentions means –
No good works.

The fight for me
Is valiant
The effort is
Monumental
Scars abound.

If only You
Could just
Do away with the wicked.

So much easier.


No comments: